Remembering JP II
John Paul II
from the Generalate
from the Provinces
Pope John Paul II and the Society of the Divine Word (SVD)
Death and Funeral of John Paul II and the
Compiled by Fr. Herbert Scholz.
As of April 7th. 2005
Four GC took place under JPII: 1982, 1988, 1994, 2000
- General Chapter 1982:
- JPII addressed special words of greeting to the capitulars who
attended the Wednesday general audience on Nov. 17, 1982 (Nuntius XI
ENG, p. 471).
- 1982 GC revised the Constitutions which the Vatican approved in
- General Chapter 1988:
- Special audience for the members of the General Chapter (Nuntius
XII GER p. 707-711 gives the address of Fr. Barlage and the speech of
- General Chapter of 1994:
- No reference to an audience of the capitulars with JPII – (JPII
was hospitalized in May 1994). At a later time the general council had
an audience with JPII.
- General Chapter of 2000:
- Special audience of the capitulars on June 30, 2000. The text of
the address of JPII, distributed to all capitulars present, is given
in Nuntius XV, ENG pp. 48-52
- Maria Helena Stollenwerk (Blessed Maria Virgo, SSpS, SSpSAP) was
beatified by Pope John Paul II on May 7, 1995.
- In Warsaw, on June 13th 1999, JPII beatified 108 Polish martyrs,
killed during the Second World War. Four SVDs were among them: Bro.
Gregory Franckowiak, Fr. Alois Liguda, Fr. Ludwig Mzyk and Fr. Stanislaw
- On October 3, 2003 Canonization of Arnold Janssen and Josef
Freinademetz. JPII was also involved in all the major preparatory steps.
Before the canonization there was considerable worry whether, given the
state of JPII’s health, the canonization would push through.
36 SVDs were named bishops by JPII.
Did he go to or at least near any SVD places or were SVDs particularly
involved in those visits?
- Indonesia: He visited our seminary in Ledalero.
- World Youth day 2005 in Cologne: JPII was planning to go; one big
program with JPII was supposed to take place right behind
Missionspriesterseminar St. Augustin. Neither of these plans
Synod of Bishops:
- Superior General Barlage invited to the Synod on Europe 1999.
- Superior General Pernia invited to the Synod on Bishops 2001.
Death and Funeral of John Paul II
- A number of confreres of the community of the Collegio del Verbo
Divino (Rome) went to see the body of JPII at St. Peter’s. Those who
went early Tuesday morning (first day) were able to see the body after
lining up (queuing) for just 1-2 hours. Fr. General and other members of
the generalate community went early Wednesday morning (2nd day). They
had to slowly make their way with the other hundreds of thousands and
needed up to 10 and even 12 hours, before standing in front of the body
of JPII for just a minute.
- Superior General Pernia: Invited as Superior General SVD to attend
the funeral mass on St. Peter’s square on April 8. Vice-General Konrad
Keler and Procurator General Giancarlo Girardi also attended.
- Archbishop Bukovski SVD, who worked under JPII as nuntius in Romania
and Russia, came to Rome for the funeral. Bishop Gaspard Mudiso SVD, of
Kenge, Zaire, also happened to be in Rome at the time of JPII’s death
and funeral. Bi. Jerzy Mazur, first bishop of Irkutsk, Russia, now
bishop of Elk, Poland, also came for the funeral.