Divine Word Missionaries

Breaking News

Info & News

from the Generalate

from the Provinces

Back to

Togo News

Members' Area

Site Map


To: "SVD webmaster SVD" <webmaster@svdcuria.org>
Date: 20 Jun 2005, 05:18:58 PM
Subject: Togo news

Technological Shutdowns As Tools of Oppression

SciDev.Net (London)

June 20, 2005
Posted to the web June 20, 2005

Gisele Dodji Dovi says Togo's recent presidential election shows how denying access to information and communication technologies can undermine democratic processes.

Information and communication technologies (ICTs) are increasingly being used to encourage fairness and transparency in elections, and many developing countries are now testing advanced electronic voting systems. Brazil and India, for example, both used electronic polling systems during their last major elections.

But the aims of these systems -- to increase voter participation and the credibility of the process itself -- are not universally valued. As Togo's recent presidential elections showed, ICTs can equally be used to subvert the electoral process, when access to them is withdrawn.

The death in February of Togo's president, Gnassingbe Eyadema, after 38 years in power, threw the country into political crisis. Eyadema's political allies, with the backing of the government and parliament, appointed his son Faure Gnassingbe president -- disregarding the country's constitution.

The subsequent outcry meant Faure Gnassingbe had to step down and stand against three other candidates in the 24 April elections.

But on the evening of 23 April, people began having difficulty connecting to the Internet. Eventually, only international organisations and embassies using satellite links could access the Internet.

On voting day, many people called private radio stations alleging cases of electoral fraud, such as ballot box stuffing and multiple voting.

Then came another surprise: the telephone system went down, and for four days a few international incoming calls were all that came through.

In the days immediately after the election, most private FM radio stations were suspended or allowed to broadcast music only, having been forbidden to cover the election.

News was available only through the official media or the international media on shortwave radio. The country's borders were closed. Officially, national security was cited as the reason for these measures.

When Faure Gnassingbe was declared president, there were violent demonstrations. According to some sources, there were 58 deaths and 317 wounded -- and to others, 811 deaths and more than 4,000 wounded. UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, said 30,000 people fled to neighbouring countries.

The election results were denounced as fraudulent by the European Parliament, and by national and international human rights organisations, as well as Togo's main opposition parties and a large portion of the population.

Yet much hung on these elections: foreign aid from the European Union had been frozen since 1993 because of a 'lack of freedom and democracy', and only democratic and fair elections would have helped lift the sanctions. But it seems the government had a more pressing need -- staying in power.

This might explains why appropriate software was not used to produce polling lists and cards.

Togo is a small country with a population of five million, about 45 per cent of whom are less than 15 years old. Appropriate data processing would have allowed the detection of errors and establish an accurate voter register. This would have been easy, as the expertise was available. But it did not happen.

The lists were processed manually, and many voters did not receive their cards while others reportedly received two or three. The total number of voters was estimated at 3.5 million instead of the 2.5 million it should have been.

On the eve of the election, masked men destroyed the independent computerised counting system set up by the main opposition party, eliminating any possibility of a simultaneous independent count.

The Internet and phone shutdown extended to private and independent communication companies, and this, added to widespread refusal to the public to witness the count, shattered hopes of a fair election and opened the way to the subsequent conflict.

In 2004, to encourage voter turnout and transparency, India introduced electronic polling for it's 675 million voters. It all went smoothly. It is a system that could work in Togo too. Adult literacy rates there compare favourably with India's, at 59.6 per cent and 61.3 per cent, respectively, according to the 2004 Human Development Index produced by the UN Development Programme.

But Togo's voters didn't need an e-poll system. Fully functioning telecommunications would have been enough.

The Togolese would surely have appreciated knowing the poll trends as they were happening, instead of having to wait two days before being told results that most of them were unable to check, or trust. They would have loved the electoral night they had been promised, just as the people of neighbouring countries have.

Instead, the people of Togo were denied telephone access to friends and parents during a period of tension. If there was an emergency, they were unable to call for help. They were also prevented from using ICTs for their work, whether they were researchers, academics or businessmen.

ICTs can be powerful tools for freedom and democracy -- not just because they can bring transparency and credibility to elections, but also because they help mobilise people. Governments should seek to make the best use of them to enhance their countries' development and the wellbeing of their citizens.

There is a risk now that other West African countries could try to imitate what happened in Togo, but as their populations have now learnt the lesson through news on TV, radio and Internet, I hope they will prepare themselves to respond appropriately.

U.N. investigators begin human rights probe in Togo

Ghanaian Chronicle (Accra)

June 20, 2005
Posted to the web June 20, 2005

Ebow Godwin

An 8-member United Nations Human Rights Mission led by Doudou Diene, Special Envoy, has began investigating circumstances leading to allegations of Human rights violations in Togo between the period of the 5th of February and the 5th of may 2005, UNDP Representative to Togo, Fidele Sarasoro confirmed in Lomé.

The UN Human Rights Mission to Togo is expected to investigate the several reports about human rights violations which occurred after the death of President Gnassingbé Eyadema on the 5th of February 2005 and the subsequent acts of political violence which followed the installation of Faure Gnassingbé as Head of State after the 5th of May 2005.

The UN Mission will also evaluate the nature, causes and identify the authors of violations which were principally committed in the Lomé Capital, Atakpamé and Kpalimé, in the Plateau Region, Aneho, in the South, and Sokodé in Central Togo in connection with the last Presidential elections held in Togo.

Sources close to the UNDP office in Togo confirmed that the UN Mission is also expected to evaluate the consequences of these human rights violations in a more global Ecowas Sub-regional approach while placing particular emphasis on some of the potential factors likely to have aggravated human rights violations in Togo.

The UN Human Rights Mission will also make recommendations aimed at putting a stop to acts of impunity, if any, which may have contributed to the violation of human rights in Togo by suggesting concrete remedial measures for preventing all new forms of violence in the future.

The UN Human Rights Mission in Togo is expected to last two weeks. The Mission is expected to visit refugee camps in neighbouring Ghana and the Benin Republic where over 20,000 Togolese who fled the avalanche of post-electoral violence in Togo are currently seeking refuge.

Doudou Diene, leader of the UN Mission has so far shied away from the press, and has been working with his investigative Team on the quiet since they arrived in the country unannounced on monday night.

On Thursday, the Mission visited the town of Tsevie, 45 Km from Lomé, one of the notorious trouble spots during the April 24 Presidential elections and took evidence from victims of violence, and eye-witnesses.

The Mission also held a closed door session with the opposition Coalition in Lomé on the same day.

The UN Mission also met members of the Diplomatic Corps accredited to Togo on Friday in Lomé.

UNDP sources confirmed on Friday that the Mission has also held meetings with two rival Togolese Human rights organisations, the Togo League for Human Rights, LTDH, and the Movement for the Defence of Liberties and Human Rights, MTDLDH.

Allegations of post electoral human rights violations has become a big political issue in Togo since the Togolese League For Human Rights, LDTH alleged in a preliminary report that over 800 persons were killed by the Security Forces while 4000 others were injured in the aftermath of confrontations which occurred during nation-wide opposition protests, before, during, and after the Presidential elections.

But the Pro-Government Human Rights organisation, the Movement for the Defence of Liberties and Human Rights, MTDLDH reported that over 58 persons made up of 8 members of the Security forces and 10 Ecowas Nationals lost their lives while over 317 others were injured.

Observers here have remarked that "under these divergent circumstances the task of verifying the truth, and identifying the real perpetrators behind the recent political violence, will prove to be more than a daunting task for the UN Mission". So far there has been no official government statement on National Radio and Television about the arrival of the UN Mission in Togo.

It will be recalled that political violence broke out during opposition protests in Lomé on the 5th of February 2005 when the Togo Armed Forces and the country's Parliament illegally installed Faure Gnassingbé into power as the successor to the late President Gnassingbé Eyadema.

He was later forced to step down on the intervention of Ecowas and the AU.

But on the 5th of may 2005, Faure Gnassingbé was once again sworn into office by Togo's Constitutional Court as the legal winner of the Presidential elections held on the 24th of April 2005.

This triggered off a series of violent street protests by opposition supporters who claimed the Presidential elections were massively rigged.

But Togo's Independent Electoral Commission stuck to its guns and declared Faure Gnassingbé the legitimate winner.

Other members of the Mission are, Mme Olatokunbo IGE, Co-ordinator for the African Team and Head of the Secretariat of the Mission, Mme Fernanda Guimaraes, Official in charge of Human Rights, M. Pierre Louis Rosevel, Official in charge of Human Rights, Mme Maghally Pana, in Charge of Human Rights, M. Nazi Koheealle, Official Responsible for Security matters, M. Nestor Ouedraogo,Official Responsible for Security matters, including a Medical Jurist.