Info & News
from the Generalate
from the Provinces
From: Fr.Babu Joseph
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:28 AM
Update on Christians in Orissa
CATHOLIC BISHOPS' CONFERENCE OF INDIA
C.B.C.I CENTRE, 1, ASHOK PLACE, NEAR GOLE DAKKHANA, NEW DELHI-110001
TEL: 011-23342458, 23344470 FAX: 011-23361022 MOBILE: 09891308309
Subject: CBCI deals with the atrocities against Christians in
rchbishop Rapahel Cheenath arrived at CBCI on December 29 in order to
meet with the central leaders and apprise them of the actual situation of
Khandhamal district of Orissa, which witnessed unprecedented atrocities
Following were the persons Archbishop met with and discussed the issue
- December 30, meeting with the Prime Minister.
- December 31, meeting with Shri Ahmed Patel, Political secretary to
Smt. Sonia Gandhi.
- December 31, Addressed Press Conference at CBCI
- January 1, meeting with Shivraj Patil, Home Minister
- January 1, meeting with Chairman, National Minorities Commission
- January 2, meeting with Chairman, National Human Rights Commission
In all his meetings with the national leaders, they have categorically
assured him of their support in the following manner:
- Both the Prime Minister and the Home Minister assured that the
Government would do everything possible to restore the confidence of the
- Home Minister to personally visit the areas on January 2, 2008
- An enquiry will be made to ascertain the actual facts of the issue
- Adequate compensation will be paid to the victims of violence and
help the Church organizations to rebuild their institutions that were
destroyed in the violence.
- Cases will be registered against those who were responsible for the
arson and violence.
- The National Minorities commission promised that it would send a
team to investigate the case.
- The National Human Rights Commission also promised that it would
send a team to find the facts.
The Archbishop could not meet the President of India as she was out of
Delhi. Similarly he could not call on the UPA chairperson as she was
hospitalized. But information has been sent to both. The Media/Information
Office is following up with the issue
Fr. Babu Joseph, SVD