2009 Africa Synod Participant:
Fr. Zeferino Zeca Martins S.V.D.
VATICAN CITY, SEPT. 23, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Here
is the list published today of those Benedict XVI appointed to
participate in the forthcoming Special Assembly for Africa of the Synod
of Bishops, due to be held Oct. 4-25 in the Vatican on the theme: "The
Church in Africa, at the Service of Reconciliation, Justice and Peace.
'You Are the Salt of the Earth ... You Are the Light of the World."
- Cardinal Angelo Sodano, dean of the College of Cardinals.
- Cardinal Peter Erdo, archbishop of Esztergom-Budapest,
Hungary, and president of the "Consilium Conferentiarum Episcoporum
- Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois, archbishop of Paris, France.
- Archbishop Robert Sarah, secretary of the Congregation for
the Evangelisation of Peoples.
- Archbishop Henri Teissier, emeritus of Algiers, Algeria.
- Archbishop Jaime Pedro Goncalves of Beira, Mozambique.
- Archbishop Orlando B. Quevedo O.M.I. of Cotabato,
Philippines, secretary general of the Federation of Asian Bishops'
- Archbishop Luigi Bressan of Trento, Italy, president of the
Italian Episcopal Conference's episcopal commission for the
evangelisation of peoples and co-operation among churches.
- Archbishop Jorge Ferreira da Costa Ortiga of Braga, Portugal,
president of the Portuguese Episcopal Conference.
- Archbishop Ludwig Schick of Bamberg, Germany, president of
the "Weltkirche" commission of the "Deutsche Bischofskonferenz".
- Archbishop Raymundo Damasceno Assis of Aparecida, Brazil,
president of the Latin American Episcopal Conference CELAM.
- Archbishop Jorge Enrique Jimenez Carvajal C.I.M. of Cartagena
en Colombia, Colombia.
- Archbishop Telesphore George Mpundu of Lusaka, Zambia.
- Archbishop Cornelius Fontem Esua, of Bamenda, Cameroon.
- Archbishop Wilton Daniel Gregory of Atlanta, U.S.A.
- Archbishop-Bishop Henryk Hoser S.A.C. of Warszawa-Praga,
- Archbishop Gabriel Charles Palmer-Buckle of Accra, Ghana.
- Archbishop Odon Marie Arsene Razanakolona of Antananarivo,
- Archbishop Michel Christian Cartateguy S.M.A. of Niamey,
- Archbishop Edward Tamba Charles of Freetown and Bo, Sierra
- Bishop John Anthony Rawsthorne of Hallam, England, president
of the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) of the
Bishops' Conference of England and Wales.
- Bishop Maurice Piat C.S.Sp. of Port-Louis, Mauritius.
- Bishop Edmond Djitangar of Sarh, Chad.
- Bishop Peter William Ingham of Wollongong Australia,
president of the Federation of Catholic Bishops' Conferences of
- Bishop Louis Nzala Kianza of Popokabaka, Democratic Republic
- Bishop Jean-Pierre Bassene of Kolda, Senegal, president of
the John Paul II Foundation for the Sahel.
- Bishop Giorgio Bertin O.F.M. of Djibouti, apostolic
administrator "ad nutum Sanctae Sedis" of Mogadishu, Somalia.
- Bishop Menghisteab Tesfamariam M.C.C.J., eparch of Asmara,
- Bishop Benedito Beni dos Santos of Lorena, Brazil.
- Bishop Maroun Elias Lahham of Tunis, Tunisia.
- Msgr. Obiora Francis Ike, director of the Catholic Institute
for Development, Justice and Peace (CIDJAP), Enugu, Nigeria.
- Fr. Raymond Bernard Goudjo, secretary of the "Justitia et
Pax" Commission of the Regional Episcopal Conference of West Africa
(CERAO), Cotonou, Benin.
- Fr. Juvenalis Baitu Rwelamira, director of the Centre for
Social Justice and Ethics; professor and director of the Centre for
the Social Teaching of the Church at the Catholic University of
Eastern Africa (CUEA), Nairobi, Kenya.
- Fr. Guillermo Luis Basanes S.D.B., general counsellor of the
Salesian Society for the Africa-Madagascar region.
- Fr. Emmanuel Typam C.M., secretary general of the
Confederation of the Conferences of Superiors Major of Africa and
- Fr. Zeferino Zeca Martins S.V.D., provincial for Angola of
the Society of the Divine Word.
- Fr. Barthelemy Adoukonou, secretary general of the of the
Regional Episcopal Conference of Franco-phone West Africa (CERAO),
- Fr. Paul Bere S.J., professor of the Old Testament and
biblical languages at the "Institut de Theologie de la Compagnie de
Jesus, Universite Catholique dell'Afrique de l'Ouest", Abidjan,
Ivory Coast and at the Hekima College Jesuit School of Theology,
- Fr. Benezet Bujo, professor of moral theology and social
ethics at the "Universite de Fribourg" in Switzerland.
- Fr. Belmiro Chissengueti C.S.Sp., secretary of the "Commissao
Episcopal Justica e Paz", Luanda, Angola.
- Fr. Gianfrancesco Colzani, professor of missionary theology
at the missionary faculty of the Pontifical Urban University, Rome.
- Fr. Michael F. Czerny S.J., director of the African Jesuit
AIDS Network (AJAN), Nairobi, Kenya.
- Filomena Jose Elias, member of the pastoral and liturgical
council of the cathedral of Maputo, Mozambique.
- Martin Esso Essis, emeritus professor of economics at the
University of Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
- Sr. Anne Beatrice Faye C.I.C., general counsellor of the
Sisters of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Senegal.
- Deogratias Kasujja, counsellor of the centre run by the Work
of Mary - Focolari Movement, in charge of spiritual formation of
- Mariam Paul Kessy, national co-ordinator of the Christian
Professionals of Tanzania, (CPT), assistant secretary of the Justice
and Peace commission of the Episcopal Conference of Tanzania.
- Sr. Elisa Kidane S.M.C., general counsellor of the Combonian
- Msgr. Matthew Hassan Kukah, vicar general of Kaduna, Nigeria.
- Br. Jose Sebastiao Manuel O.P., director and co-founder of
the "Mosaiko" cultural centre, Luanda, Angola.
- Fr. Aimable Musoni S.D.B., professor of ecclesiology at the
Pontifical Salesian University, Rome.
- Sr. Immaculate Nakato S.M.R., general counsellor of the
Society of Our Lady of Help, Uganda.
- Yvonne Ndayikeza, national co-ordinator of movements of
Catholic Action in Burundi and permanent executive secretary of the
commission for the apostolate of the laity, Bujumbura, Burundi.
- Fr. Joseph-Marie Ndi-Okalla, professor of theology at the
faculty of theology of the Catholic University of Central Africa
(UCAC) in Yaounde, Cameroon; president of the "Association
Internationale de Missionologie Catholiques"(AIMC/IACM) for Africa
- Fr. Paulinus Ikechukwu Odozor C.S.Sp., associate professor of
Christian ethics and the theology of world church, University of
Notre Dame, Notre Dame - Indiana, U.S.A.
- Sr. Teresa Okure S.H.C.J., academic dean of the faculty of
theology at the Catholic Institute of West Africa (CIWA), Port
- Florence Oloo, deputy vice chancellor for Academic Affairs of
Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Fr. Godfrey Igwebuike Onah, vice rector of the Pontifical
Urban University, Rome.
- Felicia Onyeabo, national president of the Catholic Women
- Fr. Angelo Paleri O.F.M. Conv., postulator general of the
Order of Friars Minor Conventual, director for the diffusion of
"Ecclesia in Africa" in mission lands, Zambia.
- Fr. Samir Khalil Samir S.J., professor of the history of Arab
culture and Islamic studies at St. Joseph's University, Beirut,
- Maurice Sandouno, head of the DREAM programme for combating
the transfer of the HIV virus from mother to child, Conakry, Guinea.
- Fr. Kinkupu Leonard Santedi, secretary general of the
Episcopal Conference of the Democratic Republic of Congo (CENCO),
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Sr. Liliane Sweko Mankiela S.N.D. de N., general counsellor
of the Sisters of Our Lady of Namur, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic
- Fr. Anselm Umoren M.S.P., superior general of the Missionary
Society of St. Paul, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Sr. Marie-Bernard Alima Mbalula, secretary of the Justice and
Peace commission of the "Conference Episcopale Nationale du Congo"
(CENCO) and of the "Association des Conferences Episcopales de l'Afrique
Centrale" (ACEAC), Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Fr. Joaquin Alliende, international president of the Aid to the
Church in Need Association.
- Elard Alumando, country director of the DREAM programme, Malawi.
- Marguerite Barankitse, foundress of the "Maison Shalom", Ruyigi,
- Paolo Beccegato, international area director of Caritas Italiana,
- Emmanuel Habuka Bombande, executive director of the West Africa
Network for Peacebulding (WANEP), Ghana.
- Rose Busingye, foundress and president of Meeting Point
International, Kampala, Uganda.
- Munshya Chibilo, head of distance adoption projects of the Pope
John XXIII Community Association, Zambia.
- Thomas Diarra, instructor at the catechesis formation centre,
- Assande Martial Eba, member of the "Fondation Internationale Notre
Dame de la Paix", Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast.
- Kpakile Felemou, director of the DREAM centre, Conakry, Guinea.
- Axelle Fischer, secretary general of the Justice and Peace
Commission for Franco-phone Belgium, Brussels, Belgium.
- Inmaculada Myriam Garcia Abrisqueta, president of the "Manos
Unidas" association, Spain.
- Br. Armand Garin, regional head of the Little Brothers of Jesus
for North Africa, (Algeria and Morocco), Annaba, Algeria.
- Elena Giacchi, gynaecologist at the centre for study and research
into the natural regulation of fertility at the Sacred Heart Catholic
University, Rome, and president of WOOMB-Italia, (national co-ordination
of the Billings ovulation method - Italy).
- Sr. Bernadette Guissou S.I.C.O., superior general of the Sisters
of the Immaculate Conception, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- Christophe Habiyambere, president of Fidesco, Kigali, Rwanda.
- Sr. Felicia Harry, N.S.A. (O.L.A.), superior general of the
Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of the Apostles, Ghana.
- Jules Adachédé Hounkponou, secretary general of the international
co-ordination of Christian Youth Workers (CIGiOC)
- Marie-Madeleine Kalala Ngoy Mongi, honorary minister for human
rights, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Fr. Speratus Kamanzi A.J., superior general of the Congregation of
the Apostles of Jesus, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Josaphat Laurean Kanywanyi associate professor of law at the
University of Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
- Sr. Mary Anne Felicitas Katiti L.M.S.I., mother provincial of the
Congregation of Little Servants of Mary Immaculate, Zambia.
- Edem Kodjo, secretary general emeritus of the Organisation of the
African Union (OUA), prime minister emeritus, professor of patrology at
the "Institut St. Paul" of Lome, Togo.
- Gustave Lunjiwire-Ntako-Nnanvume, international secretary of the
"Mouvement d'Action Catholique Xaveri" (MAC Xaveri), Democratic Republic
- Ngon-Ka-Ningueyo François Madjadoum, director of "Secours
Catholique et Développement" (SE.CA.DEV), Chad.
- Sr. Jacqueline Manyi Atabong, assistant to the superior general of
the Sisters of St. Teresa of the Child Jesus in the diocese of Buea;
co-ordinator for Africa of the International Catholic Commission for
Prison Pastoral Care (ICCPPC), Douala, Cameroon.
- Sr. Bernadette Masekamela C.S., superior general of the Sisters of
- Fr. Richard Menatsi, acting director, co-ordinator of the Justice
and Peace Desk / Inter-regional Meeting of Bishops of Southern Africa
(IMBISA), Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Sr. Cecilia Mkhonto S.S.B., superior general of the Sisters of St.
Bridget, South Africa.
- Ermelindo Rosario Monteiro, secretary general of the episcopal
Justice and Peace Commission, Maputo, Mozambique.
- Maged Moussa Yanny, executive director of the Upper Egypt
Association for Education and Development, Egypt.
- Aloyse Raymond Ndiaye, president of the "Comite National des
Chevaliers de l'Ordre de Malte au Senegal", Dakar, Senegal.
- Laurien Ntezimana, theology graduate of the diocese of Butare,
- Fr. Sean O'Leary M.Afr., director of the Denis Hurley Peace
Institute, South Africa.
- Sr. Pauline Odia Bukasa F.M.S., superior general of the Ba-Maria
Sisters, Buta Uele, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Augustine Okafor, expert in governmental administration, Nigeria.
- Orochi Samuel Orach, assistant to the executive secretary of the
Uganda Catholic Medical Bureau, Kampala, Uganda.
- Barbara Pandolfi, president of the secular institute of the
Missionary Sisters of the Kingship of Christ, Italy.
- Alberto Piatti, secretary general of the AVSI foundation, Milan,
- Raymond Ranjeva, former vice president of the International Court
of Justice in the Netherlands, and a member of the Pontifical Council
for Justice and Peace.
- Genevieve Amalia Mathilde Sanze, head of the Work of Mary -
Focolari Movement, Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
- Victor M. Scheffers, secretary general of "Justitia et Pax
Netherlands", The Hague, Netherlands.
- Br. André Sene O.H., head of health pastoral care in the diocese
of Thies, Senegal.
- Sr. Bedour Antoun Irini Shenouda N.D.A., mother provincial of the
"Missionaires de Notre Dame des Apotres", Cairo, Egypt.
- Pierre Titi Nwel, social mediator and ex co-ordinator of the
National Service for Justice and Peace of the National Episcopal
Conference of Cameroon (CENC), Yaounde, Cameroon.
- Elisabeth Twissa, vice president of the World Organisation of
Catholic Female Organisations (UMOFC), Tanzania.
- Sr. Maria Ifechukwu Udorah D.D.L., superior general of the
Daughters of Divine Love, Enugu, Nigeria.
- Sr. Geneviève Uwamariya of the Institute of Santa Maria of Namur,